Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Trials by Food- Flip or Flop?

In a break from healthy living tips, I wanted to share some recipes that I found and tweaked. Flip or flop is what we usually call them in my house.  Some are just for me, because my six year old will never eat stuff cabbage rolls. So let's just leave that there.
I did a massive food prep on Sunday and had a blast.  It has been a while and I am so happy to be back in the groove with foods.  I love cooking.  All of my children love to cook and like to help where they can.  I try to teach them healthy food choices, even if the boy won't try it, he still makes excellent food choices overall.
I like to try recipes and tweak them to my specific tastes or needs in regards to being cleaner and healthier and some I don't becuase my husband is not on the bandwagon like me.  I am on Pinterest and love to try out new things.  Feel free to make your own additions. It is so easy to get in a rut with food that I hope by sharing my finds I help you as well.
Enjoy!



New Recipe:
Stuffed Cabbage Credit - Original Recipe- parsleysagesweet.com
Flip!
Recipe with my changes:
4 large frozen chicken breasts, boiled, cut into bite size pieces
1 c quinoa, cooked
1 large tomato cut into bite size pieces
1/2 head of cabbage
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp fresh garlic (jar)

25 minutes in a 350 oven
Mix the chicken, quinoa, tomoatoes, pepper and garlic together.
I put the head of cabbage in the microwave for six minutes and it works! I had read
about this and thought I would try.  Less mess.
Wash and dry off.  Peel off leaves and drop a tbsp of mixture in and roll up like a little
burrito, please seam side down in a large baking pan lined with foil.  I placed a little of the
broth in the bottom.  Any extra mix, you can chop up a leaf or two and place over the top. 
Cover and bake.

Stuffed Chicken Cabbage Rolls

 


























New Recipe:
Power Bites
Flip!
I adjust depending on how much I am making.
In a sauce pan over medium heat, mix:
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
3 packets of truvia
1 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
Dash of vanilla
Bring these items to a boil and remove from heat.
Mix in 1/2 cup steel cut oats and stir. Adding more until you get a ball like consistency.
With a small ice cream scoop or large melon baller, scoop out and place on foil or wax paper and put in fridge to cool.
Keep in a tupperware after setting up.
Low calorie and full of goodness. It offers a great alternative if you need a sweet.

                             Power Bites


New Recipe:
Coleslaw- gonnawantseconds.com
Flip!
I adjusted original recipe to my husband's tastes as this was made for him and picky daughters.
I used the rest of head of cabbage from my rolls, finely chopped.
4 tbsp diced onion
1 cup sugar
1/4 milk
1/2 c mayo
2 tbsp white vinegar
4 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Mix all ingredients together and chill for at least an hour.
I have never like it until now, this is the best tasting sauce. I was dipping chicken pieces in to try it. Yum!!
Flip!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment