Thursday, July 21, 2016

Death is Imminent: 2 Ingredient DIY Ant Killer

Photo:Unsplash.com via David Higgins

Dead ants, dead ants, dead ants, dead ants, dead ants...you know you just sang that in your head to the tune of the Pink Panther. Now that I have you in the right frame of mind...I don't care where you live, summertime brings ants not to just the proverbial picnic, but in the house.  I grew up in the country. In Texas.  Ants come in every year without fail. We start putting everything in the fridge like a safe house for food.  It got crowded in there. You can't find anything.  Chips are cold...gross.

Now that I am a mom, I try tricks to help other mothers out.  That's what I do here. I have kids and a dog-kid.  I don't like the smell of harmful ant spray much less have it cover surfaces that any of them may touch. So I checked the internet and voila! I found something. It tried it. On to the results...please read everything as most of the recipes I found did not work and I changed up something and this made all the difference!!

Easy Steps and Ingredients:

Ingredients:
Equal parts baking soda and powdered sugar

Materials:
Scissors
Several water bottles

1. Determine where you want to put these traps because that will determine how many bottles you need.  I used the recycled plastic kind that make the worst noise and the ones kids like to crush so that they can hear it.  They were easy to cut.  I cut them about three fingers width from the bottom.  I made four to see how it goes.

2. Most directions I read varied a bit and most said to add water to the mix.
I TRIED THIS AND IT DID NOT WORK. IT MADE A PASTE AND SAT FOR A WEEK WITH NO HELP IN THE DEATH OF THESE LITTLE JERKS!

3. Using equal parts, I put about a fingers width deep of baking soda and powder sugar. NO WATER.

4. Place in high traffic ant party zones.  For me, I did the pantry, by the dog food (area) (she never looked twice at this thing). By one of the windows in the kitchen. Downstairs bathroom in a corner by the window.



These little punks run straight into the mixture and some never made it out alive. The key is the can't tell the sugar from the baking soda and that is what kills them. The gas created by the baking soda.

This is what twenty minutes after being on the floor looked like. Death to the ants.

So there you have it. Simple post today, but what a time and money saver this is. I wish I had known this years ago. Get up and go make your own little death traps! Get them out of your house.  I read lots of recipes out there and I saved you the trouble of finding the right one. I am so sweet! Once they got into the marshmallow bag...it was on. No one gets in my marshmallows. No one. Die ants, die.













No comments:

Post a Comment