Thursday, July 28, 2016

Niche Marketing for the Mommy Blogger



When I first started writing years ago before Sex and the City even came out, it was a fun hobby. Then Sarah Jessica Parker made it seems like this was an actual job that I could do. I kept it on the sideline. Then came marriage, a baby, another baby and so on.  It was put on the back burner while I pursued a career in Operations Management running other people’s companies for them. I reveled in the fabulousness of Carrie Bradshaw until she went off the air and enjoyed reruns and movies and pretended one day when I grow up (then at age 40 in 2014), that I would do this thing they call writing.  I had been sitting on a book idea for a while and thought this needs to be told.  Friends were told about it, loving it, and I was encouraged. I started writing on paper in a notebook in July of 2015 and have been ever since.  I have also tried my hand in the past few months at blogging. Blogging is way harder than you think. I want to make some money doing what I love, being available for my kids while my husband travels for work, and gaining a presence online that will be helpful in getting a book deal. Let’s face it though, I’m no Carrie Bradshaw, but I am embracing this new chapter in life.


What else am I learning as mom in the chapter of life?
1. You must learn something new weekly if not daily.
2. You must find a niche. Key word in our business.
I was struggling with that until I saw that a lot of mom’s blogs and how to build these blogs, but in a mom blog over saturation, most can’t be heard above the noise.  It is the retelling of the same old thing. First time mothers are looking for support everywhere, I did.  But those like me now, with three children...that’s really not where I am. I love talking with other moms, finding what works for them and trying it for myself. A lot just..aren’t. They didn’t invent the wheel and aren’t going to gain my readership because they aren’t giving me new information where I can grow as a parent. How to build a successful readership? Experts all say, “Define your audience.” Words like, “niche marketing” are everywhere. What I am closing in on, is the growth hacking mom. I myself want to read articles that teach me something or shed new light on a subject.  You can write about diaper duty all that you want, but why should we listen to you? Most are not defining that. They crank some articles out with some success, but in the long run can you make that switch to the Big Time? They aren’t honing in on what specific tip makes them better.  I think I can combine my success in my growth hacking blog and cross over into my mom blog universe. If DC and Marvel can do it, then so can I. This is my world for right now, and even though I struggle for my place in the online world, I am evolving. Listening. Participating. Learning. I can shed some light onto this mom blog arena. I think I can be of use, not in writing every little family antidote, but helping shape others into powerful bloggers with a few growth hacking tweaks into their niche, to market themselves better. See below for just a few of the stats you are up against in this mom blog world.



I am a long way from being a blogging niche marketing success story. I have lots to learn, and I want to be involved in writing so I can be present for my children. I may not sit at my lap top with a view out of a brownstone like Carrie, wondering if I should call my editor back yet or go for cocktails, but I have a great view of my backyard with my son and my very own Mr. Big, playing baseball.  That call from the editor, it will come.  I will make it happen.  And when I do, I will be wearing my Manolo Blahniks just like Carrie. I want to do what I love. What I love, is to tell a good story, offer some advice and encourage those who can’t find it in themselves to push forward in their struggles. Now I am here, on The Huffington Post. I plan writing the way I have been doing it so far... one story at a time. I love interacting with other moms; it keeps me sane the way no amount of coffee can. It is a crazy life, but I love it. Making the money at writing will come.  I may be on to this whole niche marketing thing; then again it may be a bust. However, I have some huge social media influencers with over 130K followers that are taking note and retweeting my growth blog posts which is a huge growth factor. Read these influencers tweets and check them out. They know what they are doing.(https://twitter.com/Sam___Hurley). He even suggested this niche market for me so I can weed out the mom blog since the growth hacking blog is blowing up so... I have found my niche! Right now, I am more proud of my growth and what I am doing than any multi-million dollar deal I ever closed. The best part? I am not making a dime, but I am rich in self worth.  I am here for my children and someone else isn’t raising them for me. Now that, is something far more valuable than money.

No comments:

Post a Comment