Thursday, May 19, 2016

Breakfast a Go Go- Sweet Morning Smoothies

This is is the second of two posts I was writing about just a few smoothies I had made.  Lots of people always ask what I put in them. I have a board on Pinterest if you go to the bottom of my site, you can follow me, but I tweak most to cater to what I like. I TRY to cut the calories as much as I can where possible.
These are some of my favorites for a breakfast smoothie, but the blueberry based one below can be used anytime.  Really they all can. It depends on your mood. I switch it up a lot so that I don't get bored with the flavors.  I went on a 21 day cleanse of my own making where I used these smoothies for breakfast and lunch and ate a smart dinner with a protein serving (around 100-200 grams), a veggie and a fruit.  Most of my plate consisted of colorful veggies.  I have certainly done the research because let me tell you, dropping 80 pounds was the hardest thing I ever did.
This cleanse I did for 21 days to just freshen up my metabolism; I lost about ten pounds and kept it off with exercise and proper eating habits.  My skin looked amazing. Diet is a four letter word to me. Adopt a healthy lifestyle- that is what you have to do.  I want to be around for my children and their children and enjoy life.
Let's get right to it!

First up is a little Orange Crush! That name just makes it sound cooler.
Ingredients:
In blender add:
1/2 cup of a low calorie orange juice
1/4 cup water*
1/2 banana
2 tsp silken tofu
Ice enough to make cold and creamy
Sprinkle in chia seeds
Blend well
NO SWEETENER!
I ruined my first one by adding truvia.  Too.  Much.  Sweet.  The orange juice is enough.
*You could sub in the unsweetened vanilla almond milk for a creamier base.

Which brings us to the breakfast bliss in a cup!
Seriously, so much deliciousness in here,  I can't. The Cinnamon Roll Smoothie, the Goddess of all Smoothies.

Ingredients:
In blender add:
1/2 cup of a unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 banana
2 tsp silken tofu
A tsp of brown sugar (worth it)
1 tablespoon vanilla Greek yogurt
1 tsp cinnamon (or to your liking)
An extra dash of vanilla extract
1 packet of Truvia
Ice enough to make cold and creamy
Sprinkle in chia seeds
Blend well
You are welcome in advance.  This is the best thing this side of heaven I can assure you.  It does not make you miss having a cinnamon roll at all.  Perfect for the morning when you do offer something warm and sweet for breakfast.  This will make ensure you don't feel left out. Your taste buds will be so glad you made this.

Lastly, we have the Blue Banana. If you aren't thinking of Kit and Vivian right now from Pretty Woman, I am pretty sure we can't be friends.

There is another delightful change that you can make as is and it is beautiful. You can also go big or go home so to speak, by adding a large handful of spinach. Let me warn you, it becomes the ugliest thing you have ever seen,  Still tastes amazing, but it is an eye sore.

Ingredients:
In blender add:
1/2 cup of a unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 cup water
1 banana
2 tsp silken tofu
1 handful of fresh blueberries
Ice enough to make cold and creamy
Sprinkle in chia seeds
Blend well
Spinach for extra boost if you desire! I made this at work for breakfast regularly, but it was so disgusting looking with spinach that if I did add it, I put in a container that was not see through.

Sometimes I switch and use the brown colored, unprocessed coconut palm sugar in my smoothies. Truvia is a natural sweetener that is so much sweeter than regular sugar; I love that you don't have to use but one packet per smoothie to make it taste good.

I hope you like the six smoothie recipes from this week. Remember, you can add whatever fruit you want.  I love kiwi and strawberry flavor, but I am allergic to kiwi so try that if you can eat it.
Use whatever you want.  Just go easy on the citrus because even though it is natural sugars, citrus has a lot of calories that will sneak up on you.

A note on the Kale debate:
I hate it.  I even tried the baby Kale and it is so bitter that it ruined my drink and I could not use it. That is my opinion only. Try it for yourself.  I am just going to give a hard pass on that one.

Whatever fruit you use is what you taste; the spinach flavor is wiped out entirely by the fruit.
Mix and match to your heart's content and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment