Monday, May 16, 2016

Trials of the Smoothies, the good, the bad and the yummy!

This weekend was a whirlwind of events, baseballs games, sleepovers and getting a shelf finally put together for the kitchen with storage for the kids and all their stuff.
I have some wonderful friends that I have been lucky to have since 4th grade from my hometown. One of these friends in particular asked me about smoothies; I was so thrilled to hear she was the loving the blog overall, that I told her I would dedicate a whole post to smoothies.  I have become a bit of a Smoothie Queen.  I got several co-workers hooked a while back and even the kids have their favorites.  The thing to remember is protein and what are you using for...snack or meal? Let's break it down and I will share a few of my personal recipes I have made up and most, as I have mentioned, I tweak what I find for what works for me.  I try to keep it as natural and non processed as possible for maximum health benefits.

FOR THE KIDS:
I usually make this a fun snack after school or if we are headed to a practice.  There are two versions.
1. The Ogre Smoothie (got to make it fun for the little guy)
Ingredients:
In blender add:
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 cup water
Add a large handful of fresh baby spinach and blend
Then add 1/2 a banana (can add other fruit of your choice that your child prefers
 (ex. 3-4 strawberries)
1 tsp of silken tofu
1 packet Truvia
Ice enough to make cold and creamy
Sprinkle in chia seeds (if you think your child will handle with out refusing the whole thing)
Blend well





2. Banarama (yep my favorite 80's band)
Ingredients:
In blender add:
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 banana or whole if you prefer
1 heaping tablespoon of PB fit powder already made (my preference), but you can use any type you prefer
1 packet of Truvia
Ice enough to make cold and creamy
(chia seeds if your child won't freak out, my 6 year old son has yet to embrace these)
Blend well

For the adults:
I have several; today I will post three and three more in another post later this week.


These are many versions of basically this same smoothie (ogre, original and stay juicy)

Note: I have a friend who is concerned about extra protein and having kidney stones, so please use your best judgement.  I don't use protein powder hardly at all anymore.  I use the silken tofu as an alternative. Please talk to your health care provider if choosing a protein supplement in a meal replacement shake.  Otherwise they can be made sans protein for a healthy snack.

Version one:
The Original
See the Ogre Smoothie ingredients from above
For fruit, I prefer a 1/2 banana for the flavor but switch up my fruits often so as not to get bored.

Version 2:
The Juice Based One
Stay Juicy
Ingredients:
In blender add:
1/2 cup (I break down bottle into thirds) Suja Brand Juice* of your choice. (1 bottle=3 smoothies)
My preference is Berry Nana or the Sweet Beets
No extra fruit is required. You may add 1-2 strawberries or raspberries if you prefer.
For Sweet Beets, I do add 5-6 red raspberries because I find this one not as sweet and I do want to love drinking it. The raspberies make this seet and tart. It is a fan favorite.
1/4 cup water
Add a large handful of fresh baby spinach and blend
1 tsp of silken tofu
1 packet Truvia
Ice enough to make cold and creamy
Sprinkle in chia seeds
Blend well
(SWEET BEETS IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE MIX)
*Please read on Suja juice and why you should use vs regular processed juice. Remember, I do the dirty work and you get to reap the benefits)

Version Three:
Morning Blast
My breakfast go to drink
In blender add:
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup coffee of your choice
2 tsp silken tofu
1 packet of Truvia
Ice enough to make cold and creamy
Chia Seeds
Blend well
Goes well in the to go cup to take with me when I am out the door in the mornings. Perfect for the weekends when running out early. 

I hope you enjoy.  I have another pick me up for the mornings and two other regulars for later this week.  I want to deliver as promised. Healthy living is not easy, I am trying to make it simple.  I lost 80 lbs 4 years ago with hard work and really immersing myself in what to eat.  Please link to the Suja brand I provided to read and educate yourself on why things work and why they don't.  I am passing this education on to you. I did the work...you enjoy! We are all in this together...one trial at a time.








No comments:

Post a Comment