Monday, May 2, 2016

Trial of the Week- Homemade Brownies

Happy, Monday!
I have a short blog post today for the homemade brownies that my daughter made over the weekend.  I didn't even get a picture as the kids had them all gone before I could take one.  True story.  I have issues with most recipes in one way or another.  For example, I feel that sometimes there is not enough of one thing or too much of another.  I also know what my family likes and I will adjust accordingly.  So I basically wing it and write it down in case it works and make adjustments if needed.
We made brownies that were so moist, they were like a little party in your mouth!
We used a small glass pan (greased) and cooked at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Oven times may vary.
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 c melted butter
1/2 c boiling water*
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c broken dark chocolate pieces**
*I had read that boiling water breaks down sugar and mixes everything well and this is first time incorporating into a recipe. I thought this was a dose of pure craziness and not sure if that is even the real reason.  It worked well!
**We had mini dark chocolate bars left over from Easter.  I put in a Ziploc bag and smashed with a hammer. Baker's chocolate squares or chips would do.

I never do what recipes call for unless I am totally unfamiliar with what it is I am making, so I just mix it ALL together at once. 
I placed in the pan and cooked until a knife came out clean.  These were absolute heaven.  I took a tiny pinch of one; what I wanted to do was eat the entire pan as quickly as possible, but I can't do that and I was able to walk away.  I have learned from my healthier lifestyle that I can enjoy a bite and walk away.  You do not have to pig out on it, and then feel bad. It would be awful for my weight to have just one so I don't.  I have learned what I can and can not do in a trial by fire I guess you could say.  If you haven't, then you need to read some of my blog posts on how to control this sort of thing.

I wish I had a photo; they were beautiful.  Apparently, they were downright irresistible to teenagers running around on a Friday night.

I enjoy baking with my kids.  It is a good lesson for them to learn how to cook and we put on music and sing and dance, and just plain have fun! Sometimes you need just enough crazy to keep you sane. So in honor of Prince, we played some rocking tunes while we cooked.  I am so glad my kids love all kinds of music.  They would be missing out on so much if all they knew was Justin Bieber.  They love real music from blues to country, and rock to pop. I am a trendy mom, and this is just another of our trials that we face in creating well rounded kids.  Be the mom that makes the memories.  Even when all you want to do is sit, do so, but take the time to build Lego cities or make brownies or do cool Pinterest nail art. This is what they will take with them when we are gone...the memories that were made, not the things we bought them.


No comments:

Post a Comment