Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Trials of the DIY Basketball Lines & a Holiday Well Spent


Over Memorial Day, we decided to jump in feet first and add some fun to our huge driveway.  I mean what is the point if you aren't going to do something cool, right?
I had mentioned it to my husband since the new house has a really nice basketball goal and all of this space.  First, let me say, I do not like doing projects with my husband, Phil.  He gets cranky if you can't mind read. With this being said, after nearly 17 years of marriage, I was preparing myself mentally. This turned out to be, literally, one of the easiest projects even though it was grueling in some ways because of the accuracy needed for the lines of our do-it-yourself-on-a-budget basketball court.  Thank goodness for Phil and his ingenuity. We do not have lots of money; we have to things on a budget and you totally can, too.  The kids were just excited as if we'd had professionals come in to do one...that's what matters.

This was a great way to spend the holiday, remembering those fallen for our freedom, enjoying the beautiful weather and spending quality time making memories with our kids, making something the whole family could enjoy. My husband is sort of a genius with putting things together, of course that comes with his job so he has the right mind-set to build.  We needed all hands on deck to complete this task, so it was good to have the kids participate since we love basketball from a quick game of HORSE to 1 on 1 or 2 on 2, we play.  I didn't do a whole instruction thing with this as there are lots of resources out there for this.

Here is the short version: Phil got the measurements and we got spray paint; we used a chalk line to make the lines before painting. We outlined the chalk line with painter's tape. Note- do it fast because the heat makes the tape not stay sticky long. We sprayed in between the tape and got near perfect lines.  Phil made a cardboard stencil for the arch. Again, genius, no money needed to buy anything fancy. He is pretty impressive sometimes.

I want to make the kind of memories that don't cost money.  You can buy things, but you can't buy memories. I bake with them, play with them, take them to the beach; things like this will last in their heads and mean more in the long run.  The time I spent with them will live in their hearts long after I'm gone. These little yellow lines you see below will give us hours of family time...quality time.
This court was simple for now.  We are already thinking of exploring ways to add on to it for more detail.  For now, they can work on their free throws, three pointers and such at high school regulations.  Hey, if you can make a basket here, you can do it on any little league team, right? This is where you dribble for hours, shoot til your fingers ache. You perfect your game, Championships are made at practice they say.  I can not tell you the hours and hours where I did this. It gets them outside, like we used to be.  Who doesn't want that? And you know what? It is perfect they way it is and I am so proud of my husband for making this for our family. It can be more detailed (I'm sure it will be), but for now...it is AWESOME!

We spent the majority of this long weekend outside.  No electronics. We played and grilled and enjoyed s'mores over the fire pit.  This is real life and what is important to us right now.  Life is coming at us pretty fast with our oldest daughter. I can't slow down time, nor do I want to. It is her time to become a young adult and make something of herself in the world. Later this year we are planning college visits for her, but for now, let's just get in a quick game of HORSE against your old man. They talk trash and have the best time.  It seems like it was just yesterday, she was four and putting in a basket on daddy's shoulders.  This summer is one I want to remember.  The next one won't be so calm.  Senior pictures, college admissions and the like will rule my world.  I have my kids here for just a little longer, and I want them to remember the fun we always have and the fact that this is the stuff money can't buy.  Memories...they cost nothing, but are priceless.

This is our finished project, the dog approved. Not bad for a $15 dollar project that made my son feel like an NBA MVP.

Go make yours!





No comments:

Post a Comment